Hi all
Hi all,
I got my Tau and I'm trying to install Mark's agents so I can use the MIDI monitor to teach myself how to play.
I ran the installer, but the dialog box disappeared after "gathering required information", and it didn't put a Read Me folder on my desktop. I'm thinking it didn't install. I've tried several times and there's no difference. Has anybody installed these successfully with Windows? I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. Is the file supposed to be 284 KB?
Thanks!
I got my Tau and I'm trying to install Mark's agents so I can use the MIDI monitor to teach myself how to play.
I ran the installer, but the dialog box disappeared after "gathering required information", and it didn't put a Read Me folder on my desktop. I'm thinking it didn't install. I've tried several times and there's no difference. Has anybody installed these successfully with Windows? I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. Is the file supposed to be 284 KB?
Thanks!
Hi and congrats on the Tau!!
ReplyDeleteThe file is small sure is, most players are on Mac.... maybe Ferdinand Strixner can help?
If you have workbench you can check by adding/creating a new agent and selecting midi monitor (also it will install Mark's other agents - scale illuminator - Osc pad - soundplane)
ReplyDeleteExcellent iBook from Mike Milton for free (recommend!!)
ReplyDeletehttps://itunes.apple.com/pt/book/exploring-the-eigenharp/id529569334?l=en&mt=11
Thanks Antonio! Hopefully I'll get this sorted out. This is the most important thing for me regarding the Eigenharp at the moment.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately I don't have Workbench, at least not yet.
And thanks for the ebook recommendation. I'm downloading it now.
Looks like I can't read that ebook after all because I use Windows. This is why I hate Apple.
ReplyDeleteI do not have eigend installed on my PC but I just cloned Mark's repository via git windows client and ran the agents installer. I found all the plugins installed at
ReplyDeleteC:\Program Files (x86)\EigenLabs\contrib-2.0-stable\plugins\TheTechnobear
as they probably should.
If it's the same for you try following Antonio's advice and create an agent with belcanto. I'd start with scale illuminator, it's really the most essential agent and it's easy to setup with the instructions provided.
Hi there,
ReplyDeleteperhaps the agents were already installed properly. Do you have Workbench? If yes, please try to add an agent. If you see the midi monitor (or how it was called, will have to look it up) then the agents are there.
If it doesn't work we can use a hangout later today to have a look together if you want (hangouts allow desktop sharing)
"Hate" thing does not bring anything good…
ReplyDeleteI don't believe there are no ebook readers for windows… google for something? maybe you got an iPad/iphone… good for use with EigenD - Stage
another way; get and run this setup that have illuminator agent
https://github.com/TheTechnobear/Eigenharp/tree/master/Setups/tau
And yes Oleg Sergeyev is right better clone Mark's github ;-)
one thought Ferdinand Strixner , did you add any code to move README to the desktop on windows?
ReplyDelete(this is in the post flight of the agent so will be specific to windows/mac osx)
António Machado where are the agents installed under windows? perhaps David Horwitz can look for them there… it may be they are installed but the README are not on the desktop (they will still be in the agents directory though)
David Horwitz using EigenBrowser (and the script browse button in Stage) have a look to see whats scripts are available, there should be new scripts for Scale Illuminator if its been installed correctly.
ok, just checked... there is no windows code for copying resources, so read me will not be on the desktop
ReplyDeleteDavid Horwitz
I think you will find the read me and scripts under ,
ProgramFiles/Eigenlabs/contrib-2.0-stable/resources
or something similar to that.
(if you cannot find there, also check under documents, but i think they are in program files)
sorry not to be more definitive but I don't have a windows machine.
Sorry, didn't read all the responses before, just the OP. As you don't have Workbench please open the EigenCommander and type "scale illuminator create". If that works Mark's agents were successfully installed.
ReplyDeleteAs said, if it continues to make problems, we can have a look e.g. via hangout desktop sharing. (Tomorrow evening would be better on my side though)
Mark Harris For some reason "midi monitor create" doesn't seem to work on first sight. Creating the agent in Workbench works without problems though.
old build i think... I fixed this soon after initial release, as António Machado reported it to me.
ReplyDeletetry a rebuild, if it doesnt fix it, then I will look into what was fixed, and see if something was done specifically for the mac (i think not though)
one other 'point' , I've no scripts to add this to the factory builds, so you would need to script this.
ReplyDeleteits easy to attach to the midi input, but from memory there was mention here about also having to disable a midi talker that also responds to midi note input?
(perhaps just delete it?)
Mark Harris double checked with latest sources, still the same effect on my side (if the problem is Windows specific I can have a more in depth look tomorrow)
ReplyDeleteedit: tested the 2.0 build
2.0 and 2.1 are both fine on Mac :(
ReplyDeleteI think it was caused by some properties that were not liked by the interpreter... but that would not be specific to windows...
so I'm really confused, I think the code is ok.
Mark found the solution!
ReplyDeleteA new Windows build is available. Please uninstall the previous Technobear-2.0-stable package (via Control panel->Applications) and install the new version from the Eigenlabs-Technobear-2.0-stable.msi on github.
Hey guys, thanks for all your help. I was just about to reply and saw that there's a new post. I'll try that and report back. Really appreciate it!
ReplyDeleteOk, so I was able to create the MIDI monitor with the EigenCommander command line. It's weird. The first time it failed and then it said "ok". I don't think there was a mistake in the command.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'd now like to route MIDI notes from Cubase into EigenD so I can teach myself to play. I looked at the help file, but I'm thinking it was written for people who have Workbench.
In any case, I'm not sure what to do next. Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to configure agents without Workbench? Thanks
I've been playing around with the MIDI 1 section in Stage, but haven't gotten it to work yet.
ReplyDeleteAh, ok, I need a 3rd party virtual MIDI wire as I thought. I'll look into that, and see if I can get the MIDI monitor working.
ReplyDeleteyes, you need a virtual midi cable like LoopBe1 (free) or LoopBe30 (about $20).
ReplyDeleteAdditionally you need some additional Belcanto to connect up the midi monitor to the right keygroup and midi in. And you have to disconnect a talker from midi in that changes parameters like scale etc. based on specific midi notes. (This is handy to remote control your setup but not what you want for playing with the midi monitor). Can provide you the necessary script on the evening. (Will add it to the Readme, too)
Thanks man! Hopefully I'll be in business tomorrow and will be able to play around at work :)
ReplyDeleteDavid, you mentioned you want to use midi monitor to learn playing the eigenharp, care to share the details?
ReplyDeletebelcanto you need is:
ReplyDelete(i think this will work for all factory setups)
midi input controller un connect
midi input talker un connect
midi monitor create
midi monitor light to keyboard light connect
midi input to midi monitor connect
of course then save this as your own setup for practice.
the defaults for midi monitor should be ok,
they are detailed in the read me file, and you can add the midi monitor properties in Stage if you would like to try different values etc.
note : the above disconnects the remote midi functions, these could be re-added later if desired.
an alternative would be do create a new midi input, instead of the above use:
midi input create
it to monitor input name ify
midi monitor create
midi monitor light to keyboard light connect
monitor input to midi monitor connect
if you do this make sure you sent the midi to the right input :)
I'll add the later to #Creator and then create a script that will be shipped with the agent.
The script looks as Mark wrote above (for the default layout that you are most likely using).
ReplyDeleteOn Windows you have to install LoopBe1 (or you can buy LoopBe30 for 29 additional virtual midi cables) as a virtual midi cable.
Then you have to select the midi input (standard on Windows is "null device", so midi in does nothing by default):
* Open both EigenCommander and EigenBrowser and type
midi input midi port browse
* Then click on 1. Internal MIDI with the mouse
* Also choose this wire as midi output in your DAW.
If you play a note you will realize that several keys will be lit at the same time. The reason for that is that for the Eigenharp default layout several keys play the same note. So you have to choose the one that makes most sense in the current progression (closest to the previous key-to-play, easist to reach, easiest to play the following note etc.)
ooh, good point Ferdinand Strixner , its not a good idea to attach to the keyboard directly...
ReplyDeleteit would be better to add it as an output to the main keygroup, otherwise it will not reflect not only your key layout but also your scale/tonic/base etc...
hmm... choices are:
a) we create a new output, assigning keys etc. (in which case i need to know a spare key on the tau!)
b) i repurpose one of the existing rigs outputs... e.g. remove sampler 4
thoughts?
Im thinking (a), in which case I can do in #Creator as it has the necessary template.
working on a #creator script now, will upload a runnable script to dropbox when done... watch this space :)
ReplyDeleteI personally put it behind keygroup 1 for my setup, so it follows all transformations (layout, scale, base note etc.) - I usually don't use splits. In order to work for all splits we would probably need several midi monitors connected to keygroups 2 and 3, too then.
ReplyDeleteThe next free key output for keygroup 1 on Tau should be col 4 row 7 (same for keygroup 2 and 3).
wow, struggled there..
ReplyDeleteok script is here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27614328/donotmove/tau/tau_midi_monitor.bc
Ferdinand Strixner could you please test it... its on 4/7 split 1.. I tried on my fake tau setup, but it cause all sort of weird problems :)
I've added the creator scripts too, and also put this in the agents so next time its built it will get it. at some point i need to adjust for alpha and pico - not tonight :)
It seems that you refer to outputs directly via their name, so it is "keygroup 1 hey midi monitor..." instead of "keygroup 1 hey output midi monitor...".
ReplyDeleteFor some reason if I activate both key output 4 -6 (piano sound) and 4 -7 (midi monitor) then the midi monitor lights are not shown. So I changed it to directly connecting to sampler 1 output for the moment (so the midi monitor currently only works in split 1 for the piano sound - but it's a start):
name
tau midi monitor
description
script to create midi monitor for tau factory setup 1 on 4/7 split 1 only
script
#keygroup 1 hey output 40 create
#it to midi monitor name ify
#keygroup 1 hey midi monitor key column to 4 set
#keygroup 1 hey midi monitor key column end relative un set
#keygroup 1 hey midi monitor key row to 7 set
#keygroup 1 hey midi monitor key row end relative set
midi input create
it to monitor input name ify
midi monitor create
it to midi monitor name ify
#keygroup 1 midi monitor to midi monitor connect
#midi monitor outputs light output to keygroup 1 midi monitor light input connect
keygroup 1 sampler output 1 to midi monitor connect
midi monitor outputs light output to keygroup 1 sampler output 1 light input connect
monitor input to midi monitor connect
Don't forget to set the midi port via
monitor input midi port browse
at the end (e.g. to "1. Internal MIDI")
Edit: The easiest way to execute this script is by copying it into your Scripts folder (for me this is D:\Ferdinand\Documents\Eigenlabs\Scripts).
Then open both EigenBrowser and EigenCommander and type
eigenbrowser , interpreter hey script browse
and select the file you saved this script into. You have to click twice (first it writes "armed", then "succeeded")
did my script not run?
ReplyDelete(its odd, I ran it against a dummy setup and it worked fine , just not against the tau factory setup)
this whole keygroup 1 output .. seems to be inconsistent, you usually need it. its in all my creator files and works fine.
(I've seen similar inconsistency in some of the time when addressing agents within rigs - it can get very frustrating at times!)
as for running with 1+7, yeah Id guess thats because keygroup now knows its got two light inputs, and rather than merging is probably taking the lowest. when its on the same output, then this is probably done with the normal wire merging magic :)
really depends if you want to be able to play and watch the lights at the same time.
yes, got a syntax error with "output" for the original script - I would also have imagined it works as you initially wrote it, the change was pure trial and error on my side :)
ReplyDeleteyeah, its something to do with it in that 'context', the syntax is suppose to use the output keyword... its why it took me so long to put together, as it worked in a test setup, but not in the tau... i assumed it was the new noun, but wouldn't work even if I renamed the output....
ReplyDeleteI wonder if its something to do with the factory setups having been upgraded/migrated thru versions, perhaps they are not like newly created setups?
(that is going to be a pain.... hmm, a bit of investigating with bcat perhaps!)
I think they might be something wrong with my Tau. I went to plug everything in today, and the lights aren't coming on anymore. Any thoughts?
ReplyDeleteNevermind, looks like the cable wasn't snug enough. I'll try the setup!
ReplyDeleteOk, I'm trying Mark's commands:
ReplyDeletemidi input controller un connect
midi input talker un connect
midi monitor create
midi monitor light to keyboard light connect
midi input to midi monitor connect
I get a Belcanto error when I get to "midi monitor light to keyboard light connect": Inappropriate arguments for the verb connect. Any thoughts? I feel like I'm very close!
I haven't tried the script because that's only for a split setup, right?
could it be that you don't have the Tau connected and (the Basestation) running? The keyboard agent is not loaded before the instrument is there. (edit: I think the keyboard agent is called "tau keyboard" not just "keyboard")
ReplyDeleteThe longer script should work fine for the Tau standard setup. Split 1 is the entire keyboard for this setup. So the script activates the midi monitor for the piano sound on the full keyboard - the default state of the standard setup. The big advantage of the script's approach compared to the short 6 line version is that it that it takes the chosen base note, scale, layout etc. into consideration. So if you transpose your instrument or change the scale the midi lights will adapt accordingly. So best use my adapted script posted further above.
This all looks a little complicated at first. The thing is, once you have your setup as you like it, you never have to touch it again. And for really extensive setup changes you will likely use Workbench later on anyways - which makes things much more intuitive and easier to understand. Of course you can achieve everything with Belcanto, too.
Btw., if you prefer you can also execute the script directly in the EigenCommander. Here the script again, without the commented out lines:
ReplyDeletemidi input create
it to monitor input name ify
midi monitor create
it to midi monitor name ify
keygroup 1 sampler output 1 to midi monitor connect
midi monitor outputs light output to keygroup 1 sampler output 1 light input connect
monitor input to midi monitor connect
And then for choosing the right virtual midi cable (you have to run EigenBrowser, too for that and LoopBe1 installed)
monitor input midi port browse
Guys, I got it to work and learned my first tune today! This is really exciting. If you're ever in the bay area, let me know and I'll take you to lunch. Thanks a million!
ReplyDeleteBy the way Oleg, I'm sending MIDI data out of Cubase for music I want to learn. It's wired into EigenD with the virtual cable, and the MIDI monitor lights up the keys for the piano sampler instrument, but doesn't play the notes. The notes do play back when you tap the keys, and this might be the best way to do it.
ReplyDeleteI copy the MIDI track and play it with another instrument within Cubase for reference. You can mute it to practice on your own.
I'll learn the right notes, by looping a few measures at a time, then moving on. It seems to work pretty well so far.
At some point I'll have to learn which notes correspond with which keys. And I'm trying to use certain methods to find the scale of the tune. I think the first one was in G Minor. Either way, I selected the minor scale, and that worked.
Once I'm done learning the tune, I'll switch to a more interesting VST instrument. I like Prism for Reaktor a lot.